Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Sweet Rain aka Accuracy of Death (Japan) (2008)

Sweet Rain aka Accuracy of Death
Directed
by Masaya Kakei
Starring
Takeshi Kaneshiro, Manami Konishi
Story:
Based on a Japanese Novel, Chiba is a Grim Reaper, a supernatural being who closely watches someone who is about to die in a sudden and unexpected way. No illnesses, no suicides: a Reaper’s job is to decide if the upcoming appointment with death should be marked in the agenda as “proceed” or “suspend”. “Suspend” means that the person will survive for now, and is only granted when a reaper gets the impression that his subject still has to reach the most important part of his/her life. But how do you put a value on what is important in someone’s life, especially if you are as clueless about human behavior as Chiba is?


Well I got a copy of this film a couple weeks ago, but I didn't pop it in the DVD player till tonight. I had some coffee, and couldn't go to sleep...so why not, right? Anyway, Sweet Rain, what a pleasant surprise! I didn't read any reviews or see any trailers for it, so it was even more surprising. There was a small Christmas theme to it in the middle, and it's weird because a lot of the movies I've seen lately had a holiday theme.


Takeshi Kaneshiro just shines in this film. We've seen him in his blockbuster roles, which he is always good in, but this one happens to be the best I've seen him. His role as Chiba, is so hard not to like (no homo). Now I know what you guys are thinking...Meet Joe Black...or City of Angels....I've never seen those movies, so I have nothing to compare it to. And I'm not a fan of Nic Cage (fool is wack haha). I know the grim reaper thing is nothing new, but this isn't one of those "life is bittersweet, but worth living" films...more of an understanding of consequence. The film is split into three different stories in which Chiba analyzes subjects on whether or not these subjects are ready for death. Pay very close attention to everything in the film to get the full effect, there's a specific theme that tells you what generation each story is set in. (I don't want to give that away lol). I think what drew me in from the get go, was the fact that Chiba (and many of grim reapers in the film) were music lovers. I think he says "Music is humanities best creation"...something like that...I couldn't agree more.

This movie isn't for everyone, I think a lot of westerners will be dissapointed because they want that "happily ever after". This one is more subtle, leave-it-to-the-viewer type ending. This movie could have used a jaw dropping "tear jerking" ending, but I'm soooo glad they didn't. I'm so sick of those movies that try to *force* you to cry, or give you a glamorous ending. Although I admit, from time to time I do enjoy those. All in all, this is a light hearted and at the same time meloncoly drama with good pieces of comedy in it to keep us all smiling and not so...meloncoly lol. Check it out when you get the chance. Then we can discuss it...I mean...if you want :)

-Sam
FE

No comments: